Thursday, June 21, 2012

Walls Inside Container Home

Our daughter, Chelsea (20), and son, Brad (12), with Venus's puppies.






Dale is getting to have all the fun right now!  It's way too hot inside a raw shipping container for me to be able to bring Walter along, so I am staying at home with the babe while Dale prepares the container for air conditioning.  He began on the insulation 2 days ago, and today he began the framework seen here in hot pink 2 x 4s.  The overall raw dimensions of our container is 40' x 8' x 9'6", and we are forced to give up some of the interior space due to insulation, wood framework and plywood.

We are placing the framework onto the 9 x 8 foot outer sides with the boards in a typical position allowing 4 inches of space between the plywood walls and the steel structure of the shipping container.  For the 40 foot walls, we will  lay the boards flat against the steel structure so we only lose 6 inches give or take of our 8 foot width throughout.  I did have a chance to go inside and get a feel for the space today, and it will be just fine as long as we have about 50% glass on the wall facing the deck.  I called Star Windows. a company here in Houston that manufactures custom size architectural windows on the cheap!  I had them make my 24" x 24" and my 18" x 60" windows in Walter's nursery.  They are sleek and stylish as well as energy efficient, and I love them!  My plan is to try to find some good quality windows from salvage out of a remodel via CL (craig's list). 

I will refer to my beloved craigslist as CL for here on out on the blog.  Let me just say this:  I am not happy with my impatient man for running out to Lowes for the wall supplies!  See, I have a vision for the container home to be finished with 100% supplies foound on CL that are reused/recycled and cheap if not FREE!  Now, my antsy madman  has thrown a kink in my plan.  He is so excited, like a kid in a candy store, and I don't have the heart to make him wait until the right supplies may or may not become available a la CL.  We will have solar power everything, windmills hooked to inverters and used truck batteries, etc.  As for the interior decor, I will make sure to recycle and reuse as much as I possibly can find on CL and at the thrift stores/garage sales and the like.  It's going to be a party for me and Chelsea because we can't get enough Goodwill hunting :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment